Sunday, June 24, 2012

In Kenya, you can see forever

I found a waterfall today, and like in Shenandoah two years ago, I prayed to God. One, for the opportunity and excitement of just being able to be able to, and two, that I don't get a terrible disease for bathing my feet in the water so I could be able to be near the small runoff.

Here in Kenya, you can see forever; it's so hill strewn in Loitokitok that when you just gaze beyond the horizon, you see endless mountains and grassy terrain. Then you look up and you see the clouds forming gigantic pillows in the sky. Something about being closer to Heaven makes it all look grander I suppose.

I found out that things in Mombasa are starting to heat up and my parents are worried for me. Though, I don't want to go home yet. It's not that I am in love with the country, far from it, I think it's that I want to experience my humanity here. There's so much I haven't learned from the world, maybe I could have done so in New Jersey, but this is a place where having a college degree at my level actually means something. Within three months, I will be trained as a health adviser and go off to some place remote to basically promote the truth that the Peace Corps and America actually cares about even the smallest unknown corners in the world. I represent that ideal turned reality, and am willing to go the distance.

I don't have a death wish, maybe I don't have a life goal yet, besides to shine how God sees fit, but I do want to be able to live on the brink and succeed.
Maybe it's bungee jumping with life just for the sake of stretching my soul.

Talk to you all soon, and really, as I saw the sunset gold tinted by my dad's aviators, I think I remembered how beautiful Taqwa, or Fear in God, is.

God bless the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment