Saturday, August 4, 2012

Conversations about God in Kiswahili

Nilipoamka, na nilipocheka, na niliposalia, ninafikiri juuya Mungu. Kwasababu, ninapenda ambayo ninakaa katika Kenya.


When I wake up, when I laugh, and when I pray, I think about God. Because I love that I am living in Kenya.


Ndio


That was basically the highlight of my final Language Proficiency Test, which is basically a 20 minute conversation with a tester that involves talking about who I am, where I am from, what I am doing here, and a role play or too. I think because I told him I was fasting, we ended up talking about God. And I'm glad I could speak well enough to respond about at least some of my inner feelings.


I really am grateful to God for letting me live here, and learn this language. This was the first time I actually wanted to take a test, I really enjoyed it.
My results was Intermediate Mid, which meant I passed, but I look forward to speaking this language more and more. The fact that I can talk to random strangers here in Kenya or have at least 40% of my conversation with my host family be in Kiswahili fills me with great satisfaction.


Now, I should start learning how to cook before I leave Loitokitok.


Talk to you all soon,
Tanim

No comments:

Post a Comment