Monday, April 8, 2013

10 Month Anniversary

10 months have passed by since I arrived on the 6th of June, 2012.
10 months since I've arrived alone, scared, and confused about the world.
And 10 months later, I find that I am still alone, scared, and confused.
But it's okay.

I look at the work I've done

Working at a dam
Teaching hand washing to a completely different county
 Analyzing data for about 165,000 people within Taita county and then teaching the District Community Health Strategist how to do the so and watched her present the data to the Community Health Extension workers.
 Or watching the health group continue to make sanitary pads after having a friend from JICA teach them.
Finally obtaining the funds to build a Youth Resource Center  


All of these accomplishments I'm proud to say I've been a part of. But more importantly, all of these accomplishments couldn't have been done without the help of those around me
My supervisor Scaver Mwadime, teaching about life skills
My friend and Jica Volunter Tomomi, who taught how to make sanitary pads

Peace Corps Volunteer David McCoy, who partnered with me to analyze data

My family, my rock

And of course, my counter part, Godrick Mwachofi, the life blood of the work behind Sagalla


I've been told that people come and go in this world; and I believe that phrase. You may eventually die surrounded by loved ones, but in the end, it's you who takes the final journey away from this place. Regardless, the people who have came, make an impression on me. All of them.













Even the non people

But especially the  people people


And God willing, 17 months later, I'll have come, and gone.






This picture of the health center in the rain



 This boy sliding through the slippery steps for joy.
This Boy Traveler
Gone

But it's okay...because like I said, 
To be alone, is understanding that you aren't defined by others
To be confused is to acknowledge you don't know
And to be scared...is to acknowledge the truth of how you feel, both the beautiful parts and the scary parts.

What I'm glad I'm not is numb.
Because I know what it's like to be without clean water, fresh food, proper company.
And I know I can fix it.
In being alone I can choose the company I want
In being confused I can reach out to my own clarity.
In being scared, I can prepare to be brave.

That is my 10 month gift to myself. Knowing what I am and am not.



And watching the rains kiss the ground

No comments:

Post a Comment