Monday, January 7, 2013

House on the hill

Almost every day at work, I forget and remember how beautiful Sagalla is.

I sit on a wooden bench within the health center facility when I take a break and usually have a book, lap top, or memories to chew over as I look over the flower garden.
Every time though, I stop thinking what I'm thinking about (work, future, cat) and look over the horizon and see just how, from where I'm sitting, you can see a house on top of the hill, and I kid you not, every time I look at that house my heart lightens.

Because the house is nearly touching the sky.

God sometimes I pull my head out whatever self wallowing waters I feel like drowning in and remember that this world is great.

That in reality, life is wonderful.

Yes, I can look at the sick and disease around me, I live in a place where based off my own research at least 15% of the population has no idea of their HIV status, where food has been scarce, and there is a funeral every other week (23 by my count from July to December), but this is not a life worth being cynical about. This is not a world where you can be satisfied sitting in one place out of hatred for the outside.
People here are making the best of their life, boys playing futbol, women attending church in their Sunday best, kids playing racecar with a soda bottle and four bottle caps.
And when people here decide to wallow, mostly by the bottle, that's when you see the bit of happiness they had, much less material wealth, swallowed up.

Yes, the economy is bad, people are blowing themselves up in crowded market places, the water table is rising, swallowing up places such as my parents' country of Bangladesh, but if I wallow in that, and not remember the good that people still do, I'll forget the reality that this life is beautiful.

I sat on the edge of a waterfall last week and didn't feel a thing because I was too busy feeling stressed out from the daily workload, it's time I remember why I'm here.
You can do it too, I know what it's like, applying to job after job, getting no response, but there are still friends to laugh with, parks to find meaning in, and room for self improvement.
Without an attempt to jump, there can be no transition. We can only be the people we want to be by moving forward.
I'm here for hopefully two more years, and I'll do my best to remember that, and when I forget, I'll have that house on a hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment